Anne Elizabeth Rankin Osborne Murrey
July 26, 1862 – May 9, 1963
Marital Status: Married
Place of Birth: Pulaski, Tennessee
Parents: David Provine Rankin of Rutherford County, Tennessee and Leonora Daniel Rankin of Giles County, Tennessee
Spouse: first husband, Elihu Clinton Osborne; second husband, Doctor John Buchanan Murrey, of Nashville, Tennessee
Resided in The Old Woman’s Home at 2811 West End Avenue
Admitted to The Old Woman’s Home in 1940
Burial Site: Mount Olivet Cemetery in Nashville, Tennessee
Siblings: William Porter Rankin, B. Kirk Rankin, Ella Rankin, and two sisters that passed away in infancy
Children: David Rankin Osborne of South Bend, Indiana; Lyle Edwin Osborne of Hartford, Connecticut; and Egbert Haywood Osborne of Rome, Georgia
Stepchildren: Harry P. Murrey and Mrs. George Dibrell both of Nashville, Tennessee, and Mrs. Read Barbee of Ripley, Tennessee
Nieces: Mrs. Porter Rankin and Lula May Rankin, both of Nashville, Tennessee
Mrs. Murrey was the fourth of six siblings.
In 1863, at the close of the War Between the States, Mrs. Murrey’s family moved to Nashville, Tennessee. Mrs. Murrey attended Miss Fannie O’Bryan’s school for Girls and graduated from Ward Seminary in 1880. In April 1882, she married Elihu Osborne. Mr. Osborne was in government service and they spent twelve years on Indian Reservations in Indian Territory as well as Arizona and California. Mr. Osborne passed away in Phoenix, Arizona in 1895 on an Indian Reservation. After the death of her husband, she returned to Tennessee and resided in Bell Buckle for many years while her sons attended Webb School. In March 1908, she married Doctor John Murrey, of Nashville, Tennessee, who passed away in 1916. There were a number of Murrey grandchildren and great-grandchildren who affectionately called her “Miss Anne”.
She attended services at the Presbyterian Church in her childhood, and became a member of the West End Methodist Church in 1908. Mrs. Murrey was a member of the Centennial Club, the State and City Press and Author’s Club, and Author’s Clubs.
Mrs. Murrey listed her occupation as “student and writer (in small way)” on her application for admission to The Old Woman’s Home. Mrs. Murrey was originally admitted to The Old Woman’s Home in 1940. Some years later (May 21, 1949), she withdrew from The Old Woman’s Home to live with a son. She found she was not happy there and returned to The Old Woman’s Home on October 9, 1949.