Who We Are – Past and Present:
The West End Home Foundation is an independent charitable foundation located in Nashville, Tennessee. The Foundation’s exclusive focus is to enhance the lives of senior adults in Davidson and its six contiguous counties. This is accomplished by providing grants to qualifying organizations that deliver needed services to the senior population and by raising awareness of the needs of seniors in our community.
An organization rich in history, we were founded in 1891 as the “Old Woman’s Home”. For over a century we provided residential and physical care to elderly women. In 2002, the renamed West End Home for Ladies ceased taking new admissions and began the transition toward becoming a charitable foundation. We issued our first community grant in 2002 while continuing to care for our remaining residents. The last resident passed away in 2013, bringing the 122 year history of residential care to an end.
Today, with the transition completed, the primary focus of The West End Home Foundation is grantmaking. Our sources of revenue include the endowment entrusted to us and private donations which include memorial and legacy giving and estate bequests. The financial oversight of that endowment and the grantmaking decisions are conducted by a committed Board of Directors comprised of community and professional leaders. Together, the board and professional staff work diligently to ensure the highest standards of accountability and the greatest impact on the community.
Core Values that Guide Our Work:
- Commitment to Seniors: We provide leadership and resources to ensure that caring for seniors is a priority in our community
- Collaboration: We actively seek partnerships and opportunities to work with others to improve the quality of life for seniors.
- Stewardship: We optimize and preserve the resources entrusted to us for the benefit of seniors today and tomorrow.
- Excellence: Board, staff and volunteers put forth their personal and professional best to provide the greatest value to seniors in all that we do.
- Advocacy: We champion the needs and concerns of seniors to ensure that resources and policies support their well-being
Our Strategic Goals Presented in the 2016-2018 Strategic Plan:
- Strategic Grantmaking: Fund programs and services that positively impact the lives of seniors.
- Collaboration: Serve as a convener, collaborator and leader in bringing the community together to improve the lives of seniors.
- Awareness: Be a recognized advocate for seniors by increasing awareness of their needs in the communities we serve.
- Financial Assets: Grow the foundation’s assets through sound financial policies and by creating giving opportunities.
- Organization Capacity: Continue to develop and strengthen the organization’s capacity to fulfill our mission and goals.